The invasion of the City-State of Berne's territory by the French in early 1798 happened on two different routes: One corps of the "Armée d'Hélvetie" started in the region north of the lake of Geneva called "Vaud" moving north through the town of Fribourg and crossing the river Sense at Neuenegg. Second corps started in the territory of the Bishopric of Basel, moving south through the towns of Biel and then Solothurn, where it crossed the Aare river and then moving south toward Berne (see map). At this time both routes were leading through scarcely built-up or cultivated regions. Large parts of the landscape were wooded or swampy areas.
|the region between the towns of Biel (french: Bienne) and Solothurn (french: Soleure) in 1780 (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:UBBasel_Map_1780_Kartenslg_Schw_B_55_evech%C3%A9_de_Bale.tiff)|